02 September 2009

Poolside

For those of you who are looking for addicting reads that don't make you feel bad, here are two that I've just recommended to my friend Mike who's off to the Vegas poolside for the week.


The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon. It's about a couple of kids in New York who make it big in comics in the mid-twentieth century. You've probably seen the bright and shiny, somewhat cheesy cover in the bookstores. I was actually turned off by the cover for a while, but glad I finally got over myself and took the plunge. The writing is great, the characters are well developed and fun, and the plot draws you right in.

Straight Man by Richard Russo is hands down the funniest book I have ever read. The opening scene is one of my all-time favorites. It's Russo at his best -- a bit of heartache and a lot of humor in a small, East Coast town.

blog comments powered by Disqus